Wednesday 5 October 2011

The rare White baby humpback whale!








Seeing a pod of humpback whales is a great treat for most humans to see. So imagine if people were able to see a pure humpback whale! So when the Australian resident Wayne Fewings and his family saw this pure humpback calf they we just amazed. This sighting took place on Thursday, September 29th with the whales family was seen near Cid Harbor the coast of North Queensland. They saw something moving in the water when all of a sudden about 12-feet long white whale calf came out of the water, he could tell that it was only a few weeks old. The best but curious part for them was that the calf came so close to the boat it allowed Mr. Fewings to take amazing photos. Pure white whales are caused when the marine mammals are born without melanin, and they are extremely rare. The only documented one known to exist amongst 1500 that are reside along Australia’s east coast is Migaloo. Migaloo mean White Whale it is one of Australia’s most celebrated humpback whales. It was first sighted in 1991. Experts believe that while this calf could be Migaloo’s offspring, but it could also belong to a normal humpback whale carrying a recessive white gene. Scientist will not be able to confirm this unless the take samples and perform a perfect genetic test. Hopefully the little white whale will return and become a frequent visitor as Migaloo has been over the years.




First because I have not been to DOGO news in a long time I decided to go see what new articles they had. So I was going through and what caught my attention was this big picture of a white whale! And never in my life I have seen a white whale. So I decided to click on the article. I learned many things about the whale first it was found in Australia where I am from, Second I learned about how it is like the only other white whale compared to Migaloo. And lastly I never even knew there was a white whale! I think that it is so amazing because I actually sort of think that it would be exticnt because whales are almost extinct but his whit whale is living so I really enjoyed learning about it.


Bibliography

"Rare White Humpback Calf Sighted Off Australian Coast - Kids News Article." DOGO News - Kids News Articles! Kids Current Events; plus Kids News on Science, Sports, and More! Web. 05 Oct. 2011. .

By Meera Dolasia on 10/02/2011

2 comments:

  1. aaaa there are so cute do you know how many there are in the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rare albino Humpback whale! Very cool to see. Great job here. Good connection to your own life.

    ReplyDelete