Monday 24 January 2011

Volcanoes and Earthquakes


1. What I have learned about volcanoes.

One of the things that I know is that scientists can drill a hole into the earth and get out samples of volcanoes. Some volcanoes are made by lava making its way to the surface. How volcanoes are formed is when the pressure builds up in a certain place it pushes to the surface forming a volcano. There are fields and fields of lava. Some cooled some boiling! Volcanoes can make lava fuels. Also some plants grow beneath layers of ash. A volcano that hasn't erupted for 2,000 years is dormant.
Why people study volcanoes is because this is one of the things that help us learn more about the earth.

2. What I would like to know more about.

The question that I would like to have an answer to is how do people know about the inside of our earth? How do they know that this is what volcanoes do? this is what I would like to know.


Volcanoes and Earthquakes

We had to find out about where volcanoes and earthquakes are in the world. Here are some questions and answers about it.

1. Is there a pattern in the locations of earthquakes and volcanoes?

Well at first I thought no and yes because in the chart that shows you where to find them on the map some a close and some are far apart. The when I put them on the map I saw that most of them are in patterns so my answer is they are in patterns.

2. How are the earthquakes on the map? are they scattered or are they concentrated in zones?

I would say that they are scattered all over the place because there are some down the bottom quiet a lot in the middle and there are a few on the top.

3.From your data, what can you infer about the relationship between earthquakes and volcanoes?

I think in some ways they are alike. First they are both caused by the tectonic plate. Second they both sort of start from under the ground. They are sort of like brother and sister.

4. Suppose you added the locations of additional earthquakes and volcanoes to your map. Would the overall pattern of earthquakes and volcanoes change? Explain what you think?

Well for a start there will defiantly be more volcanoes and earthquakes. But for some reason I still think it will stay in a pattern. The earthquake and volcanoes on the map are in a pattern so I don't see why it would change.

And lastly I have a question. Why are volcanoes and earthquakes next to one another?

1 comment:

  1. Well, you actually answered that for yourself in question 3. The tectonic plates are interacting here in these zones and they normally do not occur in the middle of a plate, unless there is a hot spot like around Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete