Saturday 15 January 2011

The earth's layers and caves


1. What I already know and what I have learned this week.

What I know is that the earth has four layers. The crust, mantle, outer core, and the inner core. The crust the the layer that we live on. I also know that the inner core is very, very, very hot! The crust is a thin layer it is a bit like a layer of skin but it isn't all in one piece. It is more like lots of puzzle pieces. We call these puzzle pieces the tectonic plates. These plates sometimes bump and push against one another which forms an earthquake. It can also form mountains. I also know about some of the rocks and minerals. Some of the minerals and rocks that i know are, Quartz, Pyrite, Jade, Pumic, Granite, Marble, Sandstone, and Obsidian. You can see some of these rocks in certain places. For example sometimes if there are cliffs near the beach you can see Sandstone. Or some statues are Marble. They have lots of Marble in Greece and Rome. My favorite rock is Pumic because Pumic floats on water. I have also learned about caves this week. One of the things that i have learned is that lots of different animals live in caves. All the way from bears and bats, to bugs and insects. I never knew that many animals would live in there.



2. What I want to know.

What I would like to know more about is the earths layers because I don't know that much about it. I would a also like to know a about volcanoes. And I would like to know some more facts about rocks and minerals. And lastly I would like to know more about caves.

No comments:

Post a Comment